Wednesday, February 4, 2009

South Beach Crackers

I thought I'd share a South Beach trick that's been pretty helpful...

On nights that I don't want to cook, Matt makes tuna or egg salad. It grosses me out to eat it all by itself and we can't have crackers, so what's a girl to do? I'm pretty sure I read this in the book, but if you slice up cucumber and sprinkle on some salt, instant fake crackers. It's the salt and the crunchy noise that does it for me, so make sure to cut them thick!

I'm still looking for a substitute for tortilla chips. I don't think salsa on cucumber crackers would be that good! As for tortillas themselves, then you get into Phase 2, Mission has a whole grain tortilla that is actually pretty tasty!

4 comments:

Mom said...

Grate some cheese and make little piles on a cookie sheet, put it in the oven and bake until crunchy, add some salt. Better than crackers!!

Tracy said...

Man that sounds really good! Does it stick to the cookie sheet?

Mom said...

Yes, if you use low fat cheese! So, spray it with some Pam. Or, use fatty cheddar cheese! We can't give up EVERYTHING! Don't make the piles too big or they won't get crispy.

Tracy said...

I made some and just ate the cheese chips all by themselves. Next time I won't use my nonstick pan because I think I ate a little of the nonstick too when I scraped the cheese off.