Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Politically Correct Indian, Indian Soup

So, I guess we missed out on archiving our Rachel Ray recipes! The only one that has survived in my house is the cheese-burger-bell-pepper-meatloaf thing. I change that recipe every time I make it, but basically, line pie plate with roasted bell pepper then fill it full of a hamburger/cheese/salsa/cracker crumb mixture. Bake at 350. It needs some work.

Anyway, so now that the whole family is successfully doing South Beach (and now that I'm down to such a weight that my wedding dress falls off of me) I figure it's time to start blogging again...

From the South Beach Cookbook I bring you Indian Tomato Soup severely altered:

In a soup sized pan heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Add minced garlic; one medium onion, finely chopped; three or four roasted red chilies; and three or four chipotle chilies with some of the adobo sauce. Brown or sauté or whatever.

Add a can of fat-free chicken broth, two cans of tomato paste and one can of stewed tomatoes (with juice). Add another couple three cans of water until it looks soup like.

Add two teaspoons of curry powder. See the Indian? Salt and pepper liberally.

Pour eight ounces of white wine in a fancy wine glass. Pile up on the couch. Simmer until the husband gets home. (The soup, not you.) Try not to think about garlic bread.

South Beach Survival Note: Sugar free candy in the diabetic section of Wal-Greens is pretty dang good! A lot more appetizing than that ricotta cream crap they suggest in the book. (Not that they're a trade off, but I can't seem to give up chocolate.)

2 comments:

Mom said...

Sounds yummy!
I bought 3 bags of sugar free candy at Wal-Mart yesterday! There is no way they aren't fattening. I got chocolate covered toffe and pecan clusters and life savers. They are good!

Sarah said...

Ooooh, the pecan clusters are good, but the just plain caramel ones are the best! I need to hurry and eat all the stuff I got/made, it certainly isn't helping!