Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Chile Rellenos Bake

I made this last night for dinner and I could have eaten the whole pan. Can't go wrong with green chile and cheese. Mark liked it too. Sarah, I don't know if you have roasted green chile but you can use canned green chile.

Enough roasted, peeled and seeded green chile to make two layers in a 13x9 cooking dish
4 cups grated cheese ( I used 2 cups mexican and 2 cups sharp both were 2%)
5 eggs ( I used Egglands Best Cage Free)
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1 tsp. chile powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Heat oven to 375.

Lightly coat baking dish with olive oil. Line bottom of dish with a single layer of opened green chiles. Top with two cups of cheese. REPEAT with chile and cheese.

In a small bowl beat eggs, then add milk, chile powder and cumin to eggs and mix well. Evenly distribute over chile and cheese.

Bake covered with foil for 15 minutes then bake additional 30 minutes uncovered until nice and brown. I liked mine good and toasty on top.

Eat it piping hot with some sour cream or salsa or maybe a toasted whole grain tortilla.

Option: you could add thinly sliced onion to one of the layers if you like.

Delicioso!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

We're running low, but I do have some frozen green AND red chile. I made a fritata for breakfast this morning. It sounds a lot like this recipe and that fritata was damn good! Tonight we're going out for oysters, tomorrow I'm making crab cakes; maybe this will be Friday's dinner!

Mom said...

That sounds soooo good! I'm gonna make that one soon. I'm glad I have the two of you to post recipes. I have to WORK! :oP

Mom said...

Someone needs to blog something on here! I need some advice!

Tracy said...

I haven't made anything good lately. Just the usual chicken salad.

Mom said...

I made pork stir fry last night. It was very good! But, I didn't have a recipe. I just did it cuz I was tired of baked lean pork chops with no flavor.
Well, I'm depending on you girlz for my support! I wonder if I've lost weight. The guy in the next office said I have but I told him it's just the tight sweater. He gave me a two thumbs up! =:O