Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Enchilada De LaNora


These enchiladas are made from a recipe that I learned as a child from LaNora Young. LaNora lives in Carlsbad, New Mexico. Before the Hatch chile became famous worldwide this is how the people I grew up with made enchiladas!


Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in an iron skillet over medium heat.

Add flour until all the oil is absorbed (about 3 tablespoons).

Brown the flour until it's the color of an old penny.

Mix together 2 tablespoons of chile powder (I used chile powder from a chile farm in Rincon, New Mexico), 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, 1 tablespoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 quarts of water. If you mix it in a jar you can shake it up until everything is blended.

When the flour is brown pour in the chile mixture, stirring quickly so it doesn't lump. Simmer until it begins to thicken then turn off the heat.

Now, layer corn tortillas and sauce with whatever ingredients you like. I use browned ground beef, onion, and cheese. Bake the layers in the oven or in a microwave until the cheese melts.


YUMMY!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Plotter, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://plotter-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.